With the recent spread of smartphones and other mobile devices, mobile phone system traffic is increasing dramatically. As a promising means for coping with the above situation, operators have started to use small cells that can exclusively cover small areas where traffic is concentrated. Sumitomo Electric has developed an all-in-one RF module that can be used in a LTE base station for a small cell, on the basis of the technology for the remote radio heads*1 that have already been commercialized. The company has started sample shipment of the new RF module.
The all-in-one RF module “TPM-2606P2,” is intended for use in a 2.6 GHz-band TD-LTE*2 base station which will become widely used in future. All RF circuits (transmitter amplifier, receiver amplifier and transmitter/receiver switch) essential to construct a base station are compactly modularized. Use of the new RF module will dramatically shorten base station development and production periods and simplify the introduction of small cells.
【Advantages of Sumitomo Electric all-in-one RF module “TPM 2606P2”】
- 1．Transmitter amplifier
- The Doherty-type amplifier*3 used in the amplifier enhances the power utilization efficiency to 40% or more (when outputting 6 W LTE signals).
- 2．Receiver amplifier
- The balanced amplifier*4 used in the amplifier achieves low-noise, high input power tolerance together with low reflectance properties of the antenna port.
- 3．Transceiver/receiver switch
- A combination with a circulator*5 lowers switching loss and application power, thereby enhancing the switching reliability.
- 4．Distortion compensation circuit
- The new RF module comprises a circuit that can compensate for distortion that occurs in the transmitter amplifier, thereby eliminating the necessity for additionally installing an expensive distortion compensation circuit outside the module. This module design also frees the production department in charge from such problems as non-compliance of the combination of the amplifier and distortion compensation circuit with the applicable standards.
In addition to this RF module, the company is advancing the development of RF modules for 2.6 GHz band FDD-LTE*6 and 3.5 GHz band TD-LTE. Different transmission powers and frequencies are available on request. For further information, please contact us.
||3 GPP standard band 41
|Saturation output power
||45 dBm min.
||When measured at antenna port
||Within 50 ± 2.0 dB
|Adjacent channel leakage power Ratio
||-47.0 dBc max.
||When outputting 6 W LTE signals (PAPR = 7 dB)
||Within 20 ± 2.0 dB
||2.5 dB max.
||0 dBm min.
|Operating temperature range
||-33 to +85°C
||Base plate temperature
||23 W max.
||When transmission percentage is 80%
||17 mm (H) ×143 mm (W) × 103 mm (D)
【Functional block diagram】
*1 News released on June 16, 2011
A 4th generation mobile phone communications system LTE which separates transmission and receiving on a time-sharing basis
*3 Doherty-type amplifier：
An amplification system consisting of two amplifiers arranged in parallel to operate one or both of them depending on the magnitude of the output power, thereby achieving both high output and high power utilization efficiency at the same time
*4 Balanced amplifier：
An amplification system that operates two amplifiers in parallel to double the input signal tolerance and balance out the signals reflected from the two amplifiers, thereby totally reducing reflected signal
A passive electronic device consisting of three terminals The signals received through one of the ports are transmitted to only the next port, while the signals received through the last port are transmitted to the first port.
A 4th generation mobile phone communication system LTE which separates transmission and receiving by frequency