Basic Concept of Social Contribution
Sumitomo Electric stipulated its Basic Policies on Social Contributions in April 2007 on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of its foundation. Under the Basic Policies, we are considering the social contributions we should make and conducting concrete social contribution activities such as the establishment of the SEI Group CSR Foundation as a vehicle to contribute to encouragement of research and learning activities and human resource development, contributions to local communities, monetary contributions, human resource development and support of volunteer activities. We also believe that, while contributing to society through business, the Group should autonomously implement social contribution activities suitable for the Sumitomo Electric Group, which is aiming to be a "Glorious Excellent Company."
- The Sumitomo Electric Group Basic Policies on Social Contributions
The Sumitomo Electric Group will proactively address voluntary social action programs, as a member of society, focusing on "respect for human resources," "attaching importance to technology" and "creating a better society and environment" in accordance with the Sumitomo Spirit and the Sumitomo Electric Group Corporate Principles, as well as widely contributing to society through its business activities, including the provision of products, technologies and services that benefit society.
The Sumitomo Electric Group shall
- globally promote efforts toward the development of human resources, the promotion of research and learning and environmental conservation,
- promote community-oriented social contribution activities in the Group's business locations all over the world, and
Established in April 2007
- provide continuous support to employees' voluntary social contributions.
In 2007, on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of Sumitomo Electric's founding, the Sumitomo Electric Group announced its plan to establish a fund for developing human resources and supporting learning and research in Japan and overseas as a base for continuously promoting voluntary social action programs, based on its Basic Policies on Social Contributions. After the two years of preparation, the SEI Group CSR Foundation was established in April 2009 and officially recognized as a public interest incorporated foundation by the Prime Minister in February 2010.
①monetary contributions to university courses
②support of academic and research activities
③granting of scholarships for local students studying at overseas universities
④granting of scholarships for international students studying in Japan
⑤subsidy for primary, secondary and tertiary education in Japan and overseas(in preparation)
⑥nurturing of young people through support of sports, cultural activities and the arts(in preparation)
- In April 2007, we introduced a volunteer holiday system, which allows employees to take accumulated holidays (up to 10 days per year) to participate in volunteer activities.
- In September 2007, we adopted a system under which employees can make monetary donations through our welfare system (cafeteria plan) to welfare and environment-related public interest groups such as UNICEF and the Japanese Red Cross Society. We have also adopted a matching gift system under which we concurrently donate an amount equal to the donation made by an employee. In September 2013, we expanded cafeteria plan into the system under which employees can make monetary donations through cafeteria plan to the SEI Group CSR Foundation. And in November 2013, we asked for donations toward support for victims of disaster by the typhoon in the Philippines through the cafeteria plan.
To build harmonious relations with local communities, the Sumitomo Electric Group implements various activities at each domestic site. Main activities include the following:
- Local cleaning activities, promotion of greening, environmental conservation activities, etc.
- Supporting local disaster-prevention and safety activities
- Opening corporate facilities (sports grounds, gyms etc.) to the public
- Inviting local residents and students(from elementary, junior high and high schools) on plant tours
- Supporting and participating in regional events in neighboring local communities
- Publishing local community magazines
- Accepting participation of students and teachers in hands-on training programs at our worksites
- Holding on-site science classes at schools, to explain scientific principles clearly while introducing the Company's technologies
- Holding sports events for neighboring residents (especially children or elderly persons)
- Organizing sports training sessions for students or their parents
- Supporting for promotion of sports for people with disabilities
In accordance with the basic principle of “Harmony with the International Community,” Sumitomo Electric Group's overseas affiliates, located in over 30 countries around the world, are committed to various activities for facilitating economic and social development including social contribution through business activities, while respecting the culture and customs of every region and country. Their efforts include the following:
- Donations of money and goods to local schools and communities
- Monetary donations to local universities and scholarships for college students
- Support of activities aimed at resolving drug abuse, preventing infectious diseases and solving other social problems in local communities
- Employee volunteerism in local communities
We opened “Sumitomo Electric Group Citizenship Activity Smile Relay,” a blog to introduce community-based corporate citizen activities performed by our Group companies and their employees, on our website in May 2011. This blog reports various efforts in Japan and other countries and also introduces characteristic features of each country and region in the words of personnel working there, as well as their opinions and comments.
Large-scale natural disasters, such as earthquakes, tsunamis and typhoons, occur in Japan and abroad every year. From the standpoint that post-disaster rehabilitation is extremely important for providing relief to victims of natural disasters, we make donations through the Japanese Red Cross Society and other organizations. In addition, we make donations in various areas, including education, industrial, and academic development; R&D; art and culture; welfare; local development; environmental conservation; and sports. For example, we make donations to educational facilities including a library for children and a college of nursing. We also support local communities neighboring our business sites and local revitalization projects to bolster local development.
The Sumitomo Group supports the Sumitomo Foundation, which subsidizes basic science and environmental research as well as projects for preserving and restoring cultural properties in Japan and abroad. Sumitomo Electric also participates actively in various social contribution activities planned and implemented by the Sumitomo Group Public Affairs Committee in each fiscal year.
The Foundation provides grants to research and projects whose aims are to address problems that confront humanity.
- Basic science research
- Projects for preserving & restoring cultural properties
- Environmental research
- Japan-related research in other Asian countries, etc.