Sumitomo Electric Group Exhibits at the International CES 2017
December 8, 2016
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
*This press release was originally published in Japanese on December 1, 2016.
During the four-day period from January 5 to 8, 2017, the Sumitomo Electric Group will show its products at the International CES 2017, the world's largest consumer electronics trade show, held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
At CES 2017, the Sumitomo Electric Group will participate in the Smart Home category, showcasing the Group's strengths in mobility, energy and communications technologies, along with products and technologies that combine these to contribute to present and future environments and society.
- 1. Exhibition Information
Date January 5 - 8, 2017 Venue The Sands and Expo Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Booth No. 41117
- 2. Major Exhibits
- 1. Full-color Laser Module
- Using high-density mounting technology accumulated in the manufacturing of optical communication devices, Sumitomo Electric developed a full-color laser module containing not only semiconductor laser diodes of the three basic colors, red, green, and blue, but also a thermo-control cell and monitoring photo diode, which enable controlling of optical output, in an ultra-small package.
The product is also expected to be used as a new light source for laser illumination. Our booth exhibits examples of these applications.
- 2. Magnesium Alloy
- Sumitomo Electric became the first manufacturer in the world to succeed in the development and full-scale production of sheet materials and press products made of AZ91 magnesium alloy, which has excellent strength and corrosion resistance. Compared with aluminum alloy sheets, AZ91 magnesium alloy sheets have superior characteristics in forming complex shapes and thus potentially have wide applications as structural components such as body parts of laptop PCs, in which they are already used.
Recently, due to its lightweight properties, magnesium alloy is increasingly demanded particularly by the transportation sector, for use in the automobile, railway, and aircraft industries. At the booth, Sumitomo Electric will exhibit an automobile seat frame made of press products using AZ91 magnesium alloy.
- 3. Sandponics™
- Since the 1970s, Sumitomo Electric has been developing a plant cultivation system using sand as a cultivation medium (Sandponics™) and earning a good reputation in the market.
In 2013, the company developed a new system (New Sandponics™) that improved the taste and yield of vegetables, by adopting a new water supply method from underneath, and achieved stable production of sweet tomatoes (sugar content between 6 and 7).
Sumitomo Electric aims to establish a reliable agricultural production technology by industrially controlling agriculture, which so far remains heavily dependent on farmer's experience/intuition and natural conditions.
At the booth, visitors can check a demonstration kit of the New Sandponics™.
At the booth, Sumitomo Electric will introduce many other products associated with Smart Home. Visitors can experience and learn about the products through hands-on experience of the actual devices and board panels.