Sumitomo Electric Establishes Offices for Information Security Management and R&D Promotion
November 4, 2016
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
*This press release was originally published in Japanese on September 26, 2016.
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. has set up the SEI-CSIRT Office, a unit tasked with managing the Sumitomo Electric Group's overall information security, and the Cyber-Security R&D Office, a unit in charge of information security-related R&D, both on October 1, 2016.
Sumitomo Electric has implemented measures to enhance its information security under the leadership of the Information Systems Division in line with the Information Security Policy the Company adopted in 2003. Recently, however, the number of cyberattacks targeting business corporations using increasingly cunning methods has risen, exposing business corporations to more security risks. To further strengthen its information security management, Sumitomo Electric has established the SEI-CSIRT Office, a new unit in charge of managing the Group's overall information security.
Sumitomo Electric manufactures a large number of products related to mobility, energy, and communications that are essential for the maintenance and stability of an advanced society. The Company believes that it is its social responsibility to provide high network security when these products are connected to networks. Based on this idea, the SEI-CSIRT Office will reinforce the Group's security management not only for its products but also for the production facilities. In addition, Sumitomo Electric will join the Nippon CSIRT Association and step up its collaboration with them for enhancing information security.
Sumitomo Electric has also set up the Cyber-Security R&D Office immediately under the R&D Unit. This office will conduct studies on the most up-to-date cybersecurity technologies and provide the SEI-CSIRT Office with the information. The office also aims for the early utilization of results being expected from studies conducted by the SEI-AIST Cyber-Security Cooperative Research Lab, a laboratory established jointly by Sumitomo Electric and the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) in June this year. Sumitomo Electric will work hard on applying high-security technologies being developed based on the joint studies to the Sumitomo Electric Group's products.
The Company will thus strengthen and improve its information security both on the management and R&D fronts, with the aim of raising its business operations to a higher level.
Activities of the SEI-CSIRT Office
- Formulate, implement, and maintain Sumitomo Electric Group security policy.
- Manage implementation of information security measures, report to top management on the progress made implementing information security measures, and provide support for public release of the Company's information security situation.
- Collect and disseminate security information (risks and vulnerability) and collaborate with the Nippon CSIRT Association.
Activities of the Cyber-Security R&D Office
- Conduct studies on the most up-to-date information security technologies.
- Provide information on cyber-security technologies to the SEI-CSIRT Office.
- Utilize results achieved from the studies conducted by the SEI-AIST Cyber-Security Cooperative Research Lab.
Conceptual image of the organization